Header/Navigation Bar/Social Media Icons

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Our Squash May Be In Trouble


I have been noticing lately that my zucchini plants are not looking as healthy as they did about a month ago. We used to have lots of blooms and it looked like I would have tons of zucchini soon. Then suddenly the plants started to look sick and some of the vine started to turn brown.


At first I thought these guys might be causing the problem. They might be part of the issue since I think they may be eating some of the blossoms, but on further inspection I think our the culprit is squash vine borers




These are some photos I took today of the base of the vines near the roots. They look like they are rotting away. I got online and searched for zucchini diseases and these pictures look very similar to borer damage.

This is a picture I got from the University of Maryland's Extension website. It looks exactly like mine except I have not seen the larvae.

Unfortunately it does not look good for my zucchini this year. From everything I have seen there is not much that can be done for this problem once the plants start to wilt. In fact, I read that if I don't pull the plants and get rid of them the problem will happen again next year.

All the treatments I found said to use chemicals to treat the bugs and that defeats the whole purpose of organic gardening.

I will keep researching it and let you know if I come up with a solution.

I would really appreciate any ideas any of you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment