Header/Navigation Bar/Social Media Icons

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Cucumber Chips


It's cucumber season around here. In the past I have always made pickles with what we did not eat fresh. This year I decided to try something different. I did some research to see if there was another way to preserve them without canning. 

It turns out you can dry them and make chips or dry them to save for soups in winter. I decided to give chips a try. 

This method was really quick and had some tasty results. 


Start by gathering all your cucumbers and give them a good rinse to get the dirt off. 







Next, slice all the cucumbers as evenly as possible. 


 Lay them in a single layer on the tray of your dehydrator. I personally have an excalibur dehydrator which I LOVE. I use it for so many things. It is totally worth the investment.


I decided to use some of my ranch dip mix to sprinkle on top for some flavor. (Recipe at the end of this post.)



After each cucumber was sliced and seasoned they went into the dehydrator to "cook".


I followed my dehydrators recommendation of drying at a temperature of 125 degrees. Temps may vary depending on what kind of  machine you use. I may have to try this in a solar dehydrator sometime.

Allow the cucumbers to dry until they are crispy. Mine took overnight. I was pleasantly surprised at how these turned out. To be honest I wasn't expecting to like them. 



Ranch Dip Mix


5 Tablespoons dried minced onions

7 teaspoon parsley flakes
4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder

To make ranch dip mix 2 tablespoons mix with 2 cups sour cream.

This recipe if from Heavenly Homemakers. Check our Laura's. She has so many yummy recipes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment