Header/Navigation Bar/Social Media Icons

Saturday, July 18, 2015

How To Braid Garlic




I have to start this post by apologizing for my less then stellar photos....not that my usual ones are all that great. These just seem to be much worse then usual. One of these days I will be able to invest in a better camera, but or now my camera phone will have to do. Thanks for sticking around     anyway.

I have always been intrigues by beautiful braids of dried garlic so I decided that this year I would have to learn how to do it. It really was not nearly as hard as I had expected it to be.  Basically if  you can braid a simple braid you can do this.

Before you braid your garlic you need to make sure it is completely cured. Mine has been sitting in my garage for about a month now and was nice and dry.



To get started take 3 garlic stalks and lay them next to each other. 


Start braiding them just like a normal braid.


After you have the braid started you will then add a new garlic stalk to each of the 3 you already have in the braid. At this point you should have 6 garlic bulbs.

Keep doing the same thing until you have used up all your garlic or you think the braid is large enough.



Remember to keep adding the garlic bulbs in multiples of 3. My poor garlic is so ugly. I could not get all the dirt off no matter how hard I tried. It was cemented on and I did not want to break any of the bulbs.


After all your garlic has been added to the braid you just keep braiding the rest of the stalk all the way up to finish it off. I used a piece of twine to tie off the top and to use as a loop for hanging.

Hopefully by now you have a nicely braided bundle of garlic to store for later use. I am for sure going to have to grow LOTS more garlic next year now that I know how easy it is to grow, cure and store. Especially since we eat so much garlic around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment