Header/Navigation Bar/Social Media Icons

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Learning Curve Begins


Our new homestead

We found out in the spring of 2014 that my husband would be working in a new town about 30 miles from our current home. We were very excited about the move because the area we were moving to had lots of farms and rural communities around it. We put our house on the market in April anticipating it might take several months for it to sell. It took ONE week. We couldn't believe it. We had no house to move to and really didn't want to rent and then have to move our family of 6 again. So my mother graciously offered to let us stay with her for the summer while we began our home search.

We began looking but quickly realized that our one income family, a teacher's salary at that, would not likely be able to buy the small farm we had been hoping to find. We were faced with either buying a couple of acres and then have a tiny, falling over home that would require lots of time and money to repair or buy closer to town and get a nice home on a city lot.

After months of searching we decide on a whim to go look at a house directly behind the high school my husband would be teaching at. It had the number of bedrooms the kids wanted, an updated kitchen for me and a 2 minute commute for my husband.

I was so excited to see this yard had a garden plot ready to go!

I was so sad that we would not be moving to the country as I had always dreamed, but I decided that sometimes you just have to compromise and make things work. The back yard of our new home is quite large for an average city lot. In all our land adds up to about a quarter acre...which is why this blog is called our quarter-acre homestead.

Lots of space to be creative with

I would love to have you join us on our journey to becoming more self sufficient and learning about this whole homesteading thing. My family has a lot of learning to do. I will be adding to this blog as we learn. The ups and the downs. Feel free to chime in anytime with advice. We could certainly use it.


No comments:

Post a Comment