Header/Navigation Bar/Social Media Icons

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Homemade Bread


There is nothing like the smell of fresh baked bread to make a house feel like a home. It always brings back memories of childhood and my mom baking bread for us. 

Last week we were out of bread and I really didn't feel like running to the store to get some so I decided to make a couple loaves. Even with the heat outside I am glad I decided to do it. My family loved it. 

I didn't get step by step pictures, but I thought I would share my recipe with you anyway. 

Two loaves of bread ready to be put in the oven. 

Homemade Wheat Bread

2 packages of yeast (or 4 1/2 teaspoons)
1 cup warm water
1 cup warm milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons salt
6 cups flour


Mix water and yeast in a bowl with 1 teaspoon sugar and set aside.

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.

In a small sauce pan warm the milk and butter just until the butter is melted. Do not overheat or it will be too hot and the yeast will not activate.

Add the eggs to the bowl of dry ingredients. Then add the milk and butter mixture. Last add the yeast and water mixture.

Combine all ingredients until a dough forms.

Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. This is where my kitchen aid mixer comes in handy. I attach the dough hook and let it do it's magic.

Once you finish kneading the dough place it in a large bowl and cover with a towel.

Place the bowl in a warm place and let the dough raise for 1 hour.

Outside on a sunny day is a great place. If it happens to be cold when you are baking in the oven is also a good place. I turn the oven on low and let it heat then turn it off. Place a small bowl of water next to the dough in the oven and it creates an amazing environment for letting dough raise.

After the dough has set for an hour punch it down and knead it again.

Form the dough into 2 loaves and place in 2 well greased bread pans. This recipe also makes wonderful rolls.

Allow the bread to raise for another 30 minutes.

After letting the dough raise for a second time it is ready to cook.

Bake bread at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until it is golden brown.

Enjoy!

This picture has nothing to do with this post, I just liked it and thought I would share it with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment