Header/Navigation Bar/Social Media Icons

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Spring On The Homestead



Baby G enjoying the spring flowers
I LOVE spring! Not quite as much as I love fall, but it is a close second. As soon as the holidays are over I start getting the gardening bug. I can hardly wait to get out and get my fingers in the dirt. I spend most of the winter perusing seed catalogs and putting garden plans into my gardening notebook.  

This year we decided not to cut down or weed much of anything in all the flower and vegetable beds since we moved into the house in November and had no idea what was actually planted in all the beds. It took a lot of will power for me to not get out there and start pulling things since so much of it looked like weeds. I am so glad I didn't let my need to clean everything nature get the best of me. Most of those "weeds" turned out to be gorgeous flowers. I was thinking about pulling out most of them last fall to make room for more gardening space for edibles, but I think I will be leaving quite a few. I just can't bring myself to get rid of all the beauty. 

I thought it might be fun to show you a sample of what we had growing this last spring. We had many other varieties, but here are my favorites.

I am not sure, but I think this is a violet.

I love bulbs since you don't have to do any maintenance 



We are still not sure what this was. I thought lilac, but they grew on 3 ft stalks. Anyone know what this is?

Wisteria all over the fence

Tulips are one of my all time favorites

Just one of many bouquets from the spring flowers.

We discovered that we had a large patch of mature asparagus. We were surprised to see that if you cut it, it will grow again. It grew for months.

Last but not least what would spring be without some baby animals. This year we added 8 silver laced wyandottes to our menagerie. I am looking forward to having fresh eggs again. 














No comments:

Post a Comment